Is Fluoride Toxic?



Fluoride in small amounts is not toxic to the human body.

In fact, fluoride is found in many toothpastes and mouthwashes and has been used successfully to prevent tooth decay for decades.

However, in high doses, fluoride can be toxic and lead to a condition called fluorosis. Fluorosis occurs when the body absorbs too much fluoride, which can cause discoloration and weakening of teeth and bone problems.

It is therefore important not to exceed the recommended daily dose of fluoride and to ensure that children do not use toothpaste with too much fluoride or accidentally swallow it. If you have any questions or concerns, you should consult a dentist or doctor.

Fluoride is important for teeth for several reasons:

  1. It strengthens tooth enamel: Fluoride helps to bind minerals such as calcium and phosphate in tooth enamel, making it more resistant to acids and better able to protect against tooth decay.

  2. It remineralizes tooth enamel: Fluoride can also help to repair already damaged tooth enamel by rebuilding the minerals in the enamel and thus increasing the hardness of the tooth enamel.

  3. It inhibits the growth of tooth decay bacteria: Fluoride can inhibit the growth of bacteria that cause tooth decay by interfering with their metabolic processes, thereby weakening them.

For these reasons, fluoride is often used in toothpastes, mouthwashes, and other dental products to promote dental health and reduce the risk of tooth decay.

dr Lorenza Dahm


All blog comments are reviewed before publication
You have successfully logged in!
This email address has been registered
Recently viewed
ic expand
ic cross line top